Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Anonymous


From the back cover:

We all experience times of hiddenness, when our potential is unseen and our abilities unapplauded; college freshmen, transplanted professionals, new parents, the widowed, the retired, the waiting. Though we often want to rush through these anonymous seasons of the soul, they hold enormous power to cultivate character traits that cannot be developed in any other way! Jesus was no exception, says author Alicia Britt Chole. Most of His first 30 years were not recorded and consequently are not celebrated. But unknown is not a synonym for unimportant! This hidden 90 percent of Jesus' life was essential! As it was for Jesus, so it is for us: personal hiddenness prepares us for true spiritual greatness. In these sacred spaces, God grows in us an unshakable identity, an accurate portrait of Himself, trust in His timing, and a disciplined imagination.

************************************

This book was recommended to me by several friends at a time I really needed to read it.  I was (am) going through a season of life when God doesn't necessarily make sense, but I trust Him so completely with my heart, I'm more than willing to do what He asks.

As women, I believe we define ourselves by what we can accomplish.  When we don't meet up to our own (oftentimes, unattainable) standards, we wear that false guilt that so easily creeps in and makes us feel like failures.  We begin to attach ourselves to an identity that isn't real or even practical.  In desperation, we ask God to chisel away at the excess we've created for ourselves, only keeping what He sees fit to.  That's when our identity is wrecked and we come to the realization we were never to identify ourselves with anything (or anyone) other than Him and His will.

So, realizing all of that ... I pick up this book.  And, it confirms everything my heart wants to believe.  That it's okay to experience seasons of 'waiting' and 'down-time'.  I'm learning these times are precious and put us in a place God can really work.

Alicia Britt Chole calls these seasons 'hidden years'.  Over the course of Jesus' life, we know very little about Him other than his birth, as an young boy understanding his purpose, and the time right before his death spent with His disciples and those fortunate to witness his miracles and teachings. 

From Chapter 1:  "10% visible + 90% unseen = an indestructible life .... The most influential life in all of history ... Ninety percent of his life on earth was spent in obscurity.  Ten percent of his earthly life was spent in the public eye.  And all of his life was, and still is, absolutely indestructible."

The book also talks about how our language as Christians most often includes "I just want to be like Jesus" when, actually, we aren't interested at all in living like Jesus.  Jesus spent a great deal of time in the wilderness and suffering, and yet we certainly aren't talking about 'that' Jesus. Just the good parts :)

Another excerpt says, "Our enthusiastic declarations that we want to 'be like Jesus' reference Jesus' visible years ... with a few notable exceptions.  In these statement we are not saying, 'I want to subject my body, spirit, and mind to an extended wilderness experience,' or 'I want to be brutally beaten, suffer excrucitating pain, and be murdered at the hands of mocking sinners.' ... No, our desire to 'be like Jesus' contains several exemption clauses."

We live in a society that applauds popularity and acceptance.  To us, a quiet season sometimes suggests we've given up or walked away from the Lord.  On the contrary, this can be a sweet time ... for learning, finding strength and direction, and gaining momentum for God's ultimate purpose for us - to bring Him honor and glory.

I am loving this time in my life .... enjoying the 'waiting room' and soaking up all He has.  It's not a bad place to be.

Oh, and I'm going through this book for the 3rd time.  It is one of my favorites. 

It's that good.

My Rating:  5 Bookmarks

1 comment:

  1. And I've never even heard about this book...

    headed to add this to my "wish list"

    ReplyDelete